MIJARC Europe is a non-governmental organisation for rural youth, by rural youth. We promote sustainable agricultural, rural and international development, European citizenship, youth policies, gender equality, environmental protection, interculturality and human rights. In line with our Christian values, we strive to implement and raise awareness about these issues and goals by facilitating inter-cultural non-formal learning opportunities and engaging in advocacy and partnership processes. Employing our methodology of ‘see-judge-act’, we encourage the participation of young people to build the Europe of tomorrow.
We are seeking to hire a resourceful person with strong communication and advocacy skills as well as a good understanding of the EU youth policy environment to fulfil the tasks of a Communication and Policy Officer. This is a critical role primarily accountable for a strong engagement with our member organisations, our political work and the visibility of MIJARC Europe. To be successful in this role you should be passionate about working for non-profit organisations, understanding their specificities and possess a flexible and proactive approach to work.
1. Job duration and conditions
Role: Communication & Advocacy Officer
Reports to: Report to the secretariat management team
Duration: One year contract (CDD) approximately from January 2023 to December 2023. There is a possibility for the contract to be extended.
Location: Office in Brussels (Rue de l’Industrie, 10) with the possibility of occasional travels in Europe. This is not a remote position but there is the possibility of partially working remotely.
Working time: Full-time (38 hours per week).
Renumeration: 2300 EUR gross per month
Benefits: 7-euro lunch vouchers on full-working days.
- Coordinate the creation of MIJARC’s annual Communication Action Plan in line with our Communication Strategy;
- Ensure the communication (before-during-after) regarding MIJARC’s Europe events and activities;
- Manage our social media channels and ensure regular posting, supported by our volunteer Communication Commission;
- Develop European-wide communication campaigns in cooperation with our member organisations;
- Monitor communication campaigns from partners in order to identify possible collaborations;
- Support the volunteers in the Communication Commission, providing assistance and training and ensuring their well-being;
- Manage our website www.mijarc.eu and engage in its development, creating contents and visuals.
- Coordinate the implementation of our Advocacy Strategy;
- Support the work of the volunteers in the Advocacy Commission, providing assistance and training and ensuring their well-being;
- Monitor some key policy developments and networks (Farm to Fork, Our Food Our Future,HREDD, ERDN, CoE, EU Youth Strategy);
- Support the Executive Board in the communication and interactions with the various partners and represent us in various international events (ex: the European Coordination la
Via Campesina – ECVC);
Represent us in meetings with European Institutions or partners.
Undertake any other related responsibilities commensurate with the evolving objectives of the post and the evolution of the organization, as may reasonably be requested by the Secretariat Management Team or the Executive Board.
- A relevant degree in Communication, Politics or International Relations;
- Experience with strategic planning of communication activities
- Experience with designing social media campaigns and managing a WordPress-based website;
- Experience in policy monitoring, especially with regards to agriculture, environmental or rural policies;
- Experience in representation and networking at international conferences and events;
- Experience with youth and/or volunteer team management;
- Very good knowledge of the Youth representation system and events of the EU and the CoE(Youth Forum Jeunesse, Year of Youth 2022, European Youth Parliament…)
- Very good knowledge of Office tools (Word, Excel, Canva, video editing, etc.);
- Graphic design skills and/or Website design and management (WordPress);
- Comfortable working with different IT and web management tools, and willingness to learn more tools;
- Be a Team player, creative, proactive, and autonomous
- A rural background;
- An interest in agricultural issues and knowledge of peasant farming and agroecology would be an asset;
- An interest in a long-term position in MIJARC Europe
- Previous experience with volunteers of different nationalities;
- Previous experience in an INGO or a Youth Organisation;
- Knowledge of Dutch or French;
- All applicants must have the right to live and work in Belgium.
To apply, send us a motivation letter (max 1 page) and your CV (max 2 pages) in a PDF file to email@example.com with the subject line “Application Communication & Advocacy Officer_Name”. We will review applications on a rolling basis and the last date for applications will be Friday 6th January 2023 at 23:59 CET.
Selected candidates will be invited for a second selection phase as an online or offline interview. The successful candidate will start at the earliest convenient date but no later than the 23rd January 2023. We reserve to close the call earlier if we find the right person for the position.
Call-for-Communication-and-Advocacy-Officer-2023.pdf (45 downloads)